Sport plays a large part of our school life.  We encourage an active and healthy lifestyle which includes a lot of physical activity.

Kindergarten to Year 6 are actively involved in Gross Motor, Skill Development, etc three times a week for 20 mins. All these classes also are involved with a separate Sports Lesson. The children participate in a wide variety of sporting activities at St Joseph’s.

We also have many opportunities for children to improve their games skills. Outside professional sporting groups come to the school regularly and teach a series of skill development lessons.

There are a number of carnivals throughout the year in which our teams play.

Children who excel in the sporting area are also offered opportunities to compete up to National Level.

Representative Sport

The link below is the Diocesan Sport’s Web page. If your child has been selected to represent our school in a particular sport, this web page has all the updates, cancellation information and rules etc., that you will need.

Welcome to Diocese of Lismore Sport

St Joseph’s Primary School is part of the Diocese of Lismore. Representative sport therefore is broken up into areas. Children compete in each level and if successful then move onto the next stage.

There are 6 stages of representative sport –

Level 1: St Joseph’s School

Level 2. Tweed Zone (8 local catholic schools from Tweed To Byron Bay)

Level 3: Lismore Diocese (All Catholic Schools from Tweed Heads to Laurieton),

Level 4: Polding (Country Catholic Schools from country NSW)

Level 5: NSW State (NSW Public PSSA schools and Catholic Schools combined)

Level 6: National Titles. (All states)

At our school your child has the chance to represent our school in:

Rubgy League, AFL, Netball, Hockey, Cricket, Soccer, Swimming, Cross Country, Basketball, Softball, Tennis and Athletics.

The Tweed Zone includes the Tweed Schools, St Joseph’s Tweed Heads, St James Banora Point, St Anthony’s Kingscliff, Mt St Patrick’s Primary Murwillumbah, St Joseph’s South Murwillumbah, St John’s Mullumbimby, St Finbar’s Byron Bay and St Ambrose Primary Pottsville.

All Representative Sport dates are dependant on the Public School Sports Association (PSSA) as they set the final dates of State sports events. Therefore we have to set dates prior to those, so we can finalise our representatives.

House System


Houses have been organised from Kindergarten to Year 12. Each family is placed in a House at the commencement of schooling in order to establish a tradition of College spirit.

House group patrons have been identified from the contribution to Catholic education in the Tweed area.


House groups are established to:

  • Promote social interaction, building group and team work.
  • Encourage a sense of belonging and a spirit of friendly competition through the whole school including such areas as swimming carnivals and athletics carnivals.
  • Provide a base for identity and loyalty to a house colour for students and staff.

HOADE HOUSE is named after Father Tony Hoade, Parish Priest of Tweed Heads from 1967 until 1982. Tony Hoade was born in Galway, Ireland on the 16 April 1929. Tony was the second of four children; Joseph, Tony, Mary and Doreen, born to James and Delia Hoade. James died in 1933 when Tony was only 3 years old.

As a young man in Ireland Tony loved to play many different sports – Rugby, Soccer, Gaelic Football and the Irish game of Hurling were among his favourites. He played A Grade Football, as a student, with a team named Father Griffins, Galway City. The team was named after a young Galway priest Father Michael Griffins who had been brutally murdered in the early 1920’s during civil unrest at that time. Father Hoade has maintained his love of sports to this day. He recently started to play the game of golf which he enjoys immensely. Father Hoade regularly plays golf on a social basis at Tweed Heads. He says that it is a wonderful way to meet people from all over Australia and beyond.

Tony Hoade studied for the priesthood at Mount Welleray Seminary, County Waterford and at St. Keiran’s Seminary, Kilkenny, Ireland. He was ordained a priest at St. Mary’s Cathedral, Kilkenny on 6 June 1954. He had decided, however the his future lay elsewhere and so it was that Father Hoade set sail for Australia in November of 1954 on “Langs bay” The journey took about five weeks.

After arriving in Australia Father Hoade’s first appointment was as Assistant Priest at Kempsey (8 years), Wauchope (2 years) and Lismore Cathedral (3 years). He was appointed Parish Priest of Tweed Heads Parish in 1967 and served there for the next 15 years. He replaced the retiring Father Con Hanley. Since Leaving Tweed Heads, Father Hoade has been Parish Priest of Mullumbimby.

Father Hoade was many fond memories of the time he spent at Tweed Heads – included among these are the burning down of the old Presbytery in 1971 and removal of the old church in 1979 to make way for new additions and tuck shop at St. Joseph’s Primary.

Father Hoade has stated that the Tweed Area is “the greatest part of God’s own Country”, he says that “when God Finished creating the Universe He picked the Tweed as His special creation and said “the only better place than here is Heaven.” Father Hoade has only one question… Why is Ireland so far away?

DALTON HOUSE is named after Mother Angela Dalton who was the first Principal of St. Joseph’s school in Tweed Heads.

Mother Angela was born in 1876 at East Maitland in New South Wales. Her mother and father died when she was very young. She grew up with her grandparents before entering the Ursuline Convent in Armidale in 1982 at sixteen years of age. After her training to become a nun, Sister Angela taught in schools in Armidale, Tweed Heads, Toowoomba and Brisbane.

The Ursuline sisters had agreed, in 1914, to open a school in Tweed Heads and a Block of land for that purpose has been purchased. The site for the convent and proposed boarding school was on the site of the present presbytery in Tweed Heads. It was described by the sisters as “block of land comprising about 8 acres, found most favourable”. It has a glorious situation on the side of hill, which overlooks the majestic Tweed Heads.

REYNOLDS HOUSE is named after Sister Mary Joseph Reynolds who was the foundation Principal of St. Joseph’s school for the Presentation sisters in 1952.

Kathleen Reynolds was born in Murwillumbah on 24 July 1905. Her father Patrick was  a successful dairy farmer and her mother Mary {‘Minnie’) Fitzgerald came from Ireland. Kathleen had a sister and Mary and three brothers – Martin, Patrick and James. Kathleen was educated in Murwillumbah at Mt. St. Patrick’s and completed her schooling at St. Mary’s College, Lismore. She had a particular talent in music and art and so developed a great love for painting and the violin.

At 22 years of age Kathleen entered the Presentation Convent in Lismore to begin her preparation to become a nun. In 1927 she received the sisters habit and became known as Sister Mary Joseph. She then studied to obtain her teaching qualification- the Teacher’s  Certificate: Her first appointment in 1933 was to Croydon in Sydney.

Sister Mary Joseph is fondly remembered by her students as a kind and patient leader and very thorough teacher. She established a relationship of love and respect with her pupils which stayed with them forever. Sister Mary Joseph taught in school in Ballina and Cobaki. Her strength of ministry was in leadership. She was the Principal of the Presentation Sisters schools in Bellingen, Urunga, Tumbulgum, Murwillumbah and Tweed Heads.

The Ursuline Sisters had withdrawn their sisters from the St. Joseph’s school in Tweed Heads in 1951 when the changing circumstances meant the congregation did not have enough sisters to staff the school. Several German sisters had returned to Europe after World War II to rebuild schools, a boarding school and new day schools had opened, and the failure of the dream for a boarding school at Tweed all contributed to the sisters departure.

Sister Mary Joseph brought her considerable experience and expertise to refound the school at Tweed Heads. Through her determination sister Mary Joseph succeeded in difficult circumstances to continue the life and growth of the school. The high school section was subsequently established.

Upon her retirement sister Mary Joseph lived in St. Mary’s Convent, in Lismore. She died in Lismore Hospital on 25 September 1984 after a short illness. She is buried in the lawn cemetery in Goonellabah.

HANLY HOUSE is named after Father Cornelius Hanly, the first diocesan Parish Priest of Tweed Heads. Cornelius ‘Con’ Hanly was born on 6 April 1884 in Kempsey to Timothy Hanly and his wife Eliza Gormley. He grew up on the family farm on the Belmore River. Young Con completed his primary education at Belmore River Public school with his brother Tom. His mother Eliza died when Con was only 7 and his father died a few years later. Con and his brother Tom were left to run their farm by themselves as quite young men.

After some years working Con Hanly decided to become a priest and so began seminary training at St. Patrick’s College, Manly in 1906. When he was ordained a priest on 11 May 1913 at 29 years of age, he was the first person from the Lismore diocese to be ordained a priest. Immediately after his ordination Father Hanly was assistant priest in Murwillumbah for five months before moving to Coffs Harbour. He was preist-in-charge there for almost five years. In February 1918, Father Hanly was appointed Parish Priest of Tweed Heads following the withdrawal of the Redemptorist priests. He remained in this potion until his retirement in October 1967.

Father Hanly was an uncomplicated down-to-earth person who worked hard in the service of the people of Tweed Heads and surrounding regions. He served the people of Coolangatta before a church opened there. For the first five years in Tweed, Father Hanly travelled the parish by horse sulky. After that he travelled in a little white 1920 Fiat, known to all as the ‘White Ant’. He always said the most difficult time for him was the Great Depression of the 1930’s when so many people were in need. Many swaggies called on him at that time and while he never gave money he always sent them to local people or the Paris Café for a meal at his expense.

He was conscious of his own humble origins and was loathe to ever ask for money from his parishioners. A new presbytery was built and opened in 1921. A school had been built and opened in 1917 when the Ursuline sisters came to Tweed. Father Hanly was a private person who shunned notoriety. In 1945 he was named Archdeacon but refused to accept the title. He also frowned on those who lauded it over others. It was a regular occurrence for him to come down from the presbytery veranda which overlooked the primary school playground to admonish a bully.

Con Hanly had a great love of sport, particularly Rugby League. He played as a young man and excelled in the seminary. His career was short lived when he broke his leg. This injury counted against him when he was rejected for service in the First World War as a chaplain with the Australian Army. He became a member of the Seagulls club in 1918 and was its patron for 40 years.

He loved the Surf and each morning in summer and winter would surf at Greenmount after saying morning Mass. He was a member and financial supporter of Greenmount Surf Club for many years.

Father Hanly lived at Tweed in his retirement and died in Lismore in November 1971. He is buried in Tweed Heads cemetery.